Principal Technical Author
Contract Type: permanent, full-time
Location: Peterborough, England, UK
Data Interchange is a global leader in providing expert EDI and eBusiness solutions. For more than three decades we have been creating connections between businesses and have helped thousands of satisfied customers all over the world to do business electronically. While people trust us for our technical capability and specialist EDI experience, it is our approach that really sets us apart. Data Interchange was founded on the idea of finding brilliantly simple solutions to the challenge’s businesses face every day.
And, right now, as part of an ambitious development programme, we are recruiting a Principal Technical Author.
Technical Authors at Data Interchange are tasked with delivering professional, high quality technical documentation that is clear, concise and unambiguous aiming to improve the company image and enhance our target users experience. This will involve delivering support manuals, quick start and training guides and assist with marketing material preparation for brochures, their website and social media.
You will work with product managers, product marketing, UX designers and software engineers to produce and maintain world-class web software documentation, including: User Guides, Integration Guides, API Developer Guides, In platform documentation (tooltips, welcome instructions, etc.), our website and marketing content.
You will learn complex concepts and communicate the information in a way that is engaging and understood by users whilst also gathering customer feedback on documentation to improve usability.
Our Technical Authors:
- Liaise with users, software engineers, technicians, architects and designers to write our technical documentation and author multi-media educational and instructive content
- Work with our teams covering the whole project lifecycle from planning, information gathering, research, design, writing, editing, revision, quality assurance, production and maintenance
Create exceptional user documentation for our products in all its forms: user guides, integration guides, API developer guides, in-platform instructions, installation/configuration instructions and system operations
- Someone who will relish the idea of coming to a ‘documentation greenfield site’ to set up an excellent documentation database from scratch that can provide the right sort of documentation for all our audiences.
- Three+ years’ experience of creating a user documentation database in a technical software environment, preferably for web-based content in a SaaS company
- Knowledge and experience excellent documentation drafting skills, familiar with modern authoring and managing tools
- The ability to understand highly complex technical ideas and explain them in simple, clear and concise terms for audiences with different levels of technical skill using progressive disclosure techniques
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, you need to like asking questions, have an inquisitive mind, and be technically confident so that you can experiment with software
- The ability to interact and build rapport with software engineers and other subject matter experts to ask questions and gather information
- A good command of grammar and vocabulary and a concern for verbal consistency and an appreciation of tone and style
- Multi-media skills, such as web design and video production
- Experience with search capabilities of documentation, on-line knowledge bases and FAQs
- A degree in in a technical field such as Computer Science or a focus on English, writing, or communications
- Experience of working in a software company and familiarity with the software development lifecycle
- Practical usage of a help authoring tool
- HTML/XML/CSS experience
- Experience working with Confluence
- A familiarity with API documentation for REST or. NET APIs
- Experience of using graphics and videos to complement textual documentation to augment user experience discovering, on-boarding and using our products.
Why work at Data Interchange?
As well as great rates of pay, we reward our people with a benefits package that includes individual training budget, subsidised gym membership, Cycle to Work scheme, Technology scheme, life assurance, fresh fruit, soft drinks and a games room!
Data Interchange are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion, or belief.